When reporting an incident, please provide as much information as possible. Include details about your videoconference experience and be sure to include the following:
- Time and date when you encountered the error
- Device you are using (iPhone or iPad)
- iOS version
- OTNconnect app version
- Screen shots and error messages
When you call OTN Technical Support for help, use a different device than the iPhone you use for the OTNconnect app.
In order to troubleshoot your issue, it is important that you are not calling from the phone you need help with. For example, Technical Support might need to talk to you while you run a test video call.
Poor video quality can be caused by a number of factors. Here are a few things to check:
- Ensure you have correctly configured your device settings.
- Check the bandwidth quality of your wireless connection issues.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is on and that you can see your network listed in Wi-Fi settings.
- Check your camera, microphone, and speaker settings.
- Ensure that you have good lighting.
- Tap Settings > Wi-Fi, look for your network in the list and make sure Wi-Fi is turned on.
- If you are connected, a blue checkmark appears beside the network name.
- If you are not connected, tap the name of your Wi-Fi network to join and if prompted, enter the password for your Wi-Fi network.
- While connected, check the signal strength indicator for your network. You want to see a strong connection. A network's signal strength appears as a set of bars next to its name
- Dark bars ( ) indicate a strong network connection.
- Lighter coloured bars ( ) indicate a weak connection.
- No bars ( ) indicates no signal.
- If there is no signal, check your router (or ask your IT/Network Administrator to check).
- Make sure your router is on and that you are within range. If you are too far from your router you will not get a signal, so make sure you are within range
If the person you are calling complains about what they see and/or hear from you, go through these troubleshooting steps.
If you are unable to see the other person's video or hear their audio, ask them to go through these troubleshooting steps too.
- To check the speakers, go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up. You should hear the ring tone clearly.
- To check the microphone, use the iPhone or iPad's standard Voice Memos app. Open the Voice Memos app or ask Siri to open it and speak into the microphone. Then play back the recording. You should hear your voice clearly.
- To check the camera, quickly swipe up from any screen (except the home screen) and tap the camera button. Select Video and the Front Camera. You should see your self-image.
Fixing Microphone Issues
- Start the OTNconnect app, start a test call, and ensure that the microphone is on and not set to mute.
- If you are using a headset, ensure that it is properly plugged into the headset jack. If you are not using a headset, ensure that nothing is plugged into the headset jack.
- When using your device, make sure you do not block the microphone with your fingers or other object.
- If you are using a screen protector or case that covers the microphone, remove it.
- Clear any debris from the microphone
Fixing Camera Issues
- Start the OTNconnect app, start a test call, and ensure that the camera is on and not set to "privacy mode".
- Make sure that no other app is using the camera. Like any camera, it can only be used by one program at a time.
Fixing Speaker Issues
If you cannot hear other participants, the issue might be your speakers.
Check your device's volume controls:
- Ensure the sound is not muted.
- Adjust the volume if it is set too low.
Under certain conditions, you might receive an “untrusted developer” message when you first try to open the app. The message is a result of additional security features of iOS 9 and later, To address the issue, you need to establish trust for the app developer.
- To dismiss the message, tap Cancel.
- To access your device’s Trust Settings, tap Settings > General > Profiles (or Profiles & Device Management).
- Locate the app developer in the Profiles panel and tap the name to establish trust. A prompt appears asking to confirm your choice.
- Tap the Verify App prompt. After you establish trust settings, you can return to the device’s Home screen and open the app.
- Find the OTNconnect app () on your Home screen and press and hold it for a few seconds. It (and all the other icons of removable apps) will start to jiggle and a small X appears at the top left corner of each removable app.
- Tap the X on the OTNconnect app. A confirmation dialog box appears.
- To confirm that you want to delete the app, tap Delete. After you have deleted the app, to go back to the normal state, press the Home button.